Saturday, September 15, 2012

Book Club Friday: Chick Lit

While my parents, twin brother,* and his girlfriend are at the beach in the warm, sunny South, I'm in the Midwest, experiencing my first midwestern September. The calendar says it's still summer, but the air feels like autumn. For my reading life, that means I'm in the mood to transition from chick lit to more complex historical or fantasy fiction.

But before I do that, I'm linking up with Heather & Katie for my favorite blog link-up, Book Club Friday! Tonight I plan on reviewing some of the chick lit I devoured during the dog days of summer.



Any woman who has ever lusted over Mr. Darcy will squee with pure delight and swoon from excitement when she gets her hands on Austenland. I don't even care for Jane Austen's writings (don't kill me), and I got totally caught up in this novel. The protagonist is so loveable, while flawed, and I love her character arc. 

I'm in my 20s, as are many of my readers. In other words, everyone is getting married. Everyone. Now, I certainly plan on eventually marrying the boyfriend, but we've been official for less than a year. Whether you love all the weddings or dread them, you'll enjoy the first 95% of Wedding Season by Darcy Cosper. The ending sucks. Rewrite it.

I read all the time. I always have. I'm a fast reader, so I rarely spend more than two or three days on a work of fiction. In fact, it's more likely that I devour the entire novel within a few hours. But during undergrad, I simply didn't have three hours a day to devote to leisure reading. Once I get engrossed in a story, though, it's hard for me to put down. My solution? Short stories! I can read just one in 20 minutes and feel satisfied. This summer I read a fun collection of short stories called Deadly Housewives. Who knew suburbia contained so much mystery and murder?

My apologies on the brevity of this post and the lack of photos. But I currently can't justify spending 1-2 hours writing only book reviews. If you follow the links, though, you can also read plot summaries.

*I can't be too jealous of H. He has his first post-surgery follow-up appointment on September 19. Most likely, he'll then have to start daily radiation treatment. Please continue to pray for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Anonymous commenting disabled while my mom is sick.

Comments are moderated because I receive a lot of spam, and I think CAPTCHA is annoying. I reply to most of your comments within the comment section because it inspires discussion between readers. For first-time commenters, I try to reply by email.

Yes, you can comment anonymously. Yes, you can disagree with me. However, as of 05/31/2013, if you are commenting anonymously, and your words are hateful or abusive, I will publish these at my discretion. I like that my blog can be a forum for discussion, but anything that blames or mocks survivors of sexual assault will NOT be tolerated.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2013 Finding My Virginity | Design By 2317studio | Powered By Blogger